Signal Box Bell (signal box bell)

NMM:2018.4.38

Signal bell made by 'Interlocking Signal Co. Ltd. London & Glasgow'. Signal bells accompanied staff machines (similar to NMM:2018.4.46) in signal boxes. Where signal boxes had two staff machines (Dublin Bridge & King Street), the bells would have differing shapes to give different tones. King Street had a third bell, connected to Bridge Street on...

Read More

Description

Signal bell made by 'Interlocking Signal Co. Ltd. London & Glasgow'. Signal bells accompanied staff machines (similar to NMM:2018.4.46) in signal boxes. Where signal boxes had two staff machines (Dublin Bridge & King Street), the bells would have differing shapes to give different tones. King Street had a third bell, connected to Bridge Street on the Greenore line to receive and send warnings of imminent trains. Although the Greenore line trains ran on a track independent of the GNRI metals, warnings were still needed to open the King Street gates. When the two King Street Staff machines connected to Dublin Bridge and Newry South fell out of use, the bells were still needed for setting signals and opening gates. The Greenore bell however, was no longer required after the line closed in 1951. In August 1964, George Walker arranged for this bell and the signal repeater instruments, to be brought from Newry by train and they were given to the donors.